Dating and courtship are two methods to begin relationships with the opposite sex. There is the fundamental difference between courting and dating. These two phenomena are different in order of their beginnings, socials norms etc. So let’s have a look on the difference between courting and dating.
Courtship is a relationship between opposite sex in which they seek to determine that they will marry each other if it is God’s will for them. It is choice to avoid seduction and experience the blessings of modesty. It is a choice to wait for God’s glory. If, in courtship, one or both groups realize that marriage is not God’s will and they end the relationship, the courtship has not failed. Because each individual, family, culture, and set of circumstances is unique, so each courtship will be unique in its method or process.
Dating is a form of courtship consisting of social activities done by two people as a partner in close relationship. It does not mean that the persons are interested in marriage. In a dating relationship, there is little or no interaction with family members or the partner is never introduced to anyone. These are usually short term relationships a person who dates successfully breaks up with everyone in his life.
Courting VS. Dating – A Comparison
- Courting is exclusive movement towards engagement, or marriage while dating is casual.
- Courting is long lasting relation while dating is not long lasting; a person who dates successfully breaks up with everyone in his life.
- Courtship is a process undertaken only when both parties are prepared and agrees to make a commitment to be married couples; on the other hand dating is a selfish goal of having fun and enjoying romantic attachments.
- In the courting the main focus is to please God while in the Dating the focus is self pleasure, happiness and entertainment.
- In courting family members and friends are present to support, on the other hand in dating the time is spend alone with a member of the opposite sex whom we find attractive.