If you are a regular drinker you must know that red wine is the world’s most popular type of wine. Check out the difference between Merlot and Shiraz with this comparison. At end of this article there is a video explaining Merlot VS. Shiraz comparison.
Red wine is made up of grapes and doesn’t contain much alcohol. There are different types of red wine available in wine aisle like Merlot and Shiraz. Today we will discuss the differences between these two forms of wine.
Merlot is a type of red wine that is composed of dark-blue colored grapes. Merlot grapes are commonly grown in France, Italy, California and Washington. Merlot grapes are soft, fleshy and have thin skins. Its early ripening makes it perfect for coalescing. The Merlot grapes offer great flavor to the wine. Merlot is a milder, flavorful, medium bodied wine.
It has a fruity and delicate flavor that is impeccable for beginners and makes an impeccable pair with any food. It may contain 13.5% to 14.5% alcohol, depending on where the grapes are grown. It additionally has lower tannin levels.
Shiraz is a type of red wine that is made up of dark grapes. It originated in France where it given the name ‘Syrah’ and later when it was brought to Australia it was given the name Shiraz. Shiraz grapes are dark and usually blend with other varieties of grapes when ripe.
Shiraz wine is full bodied, powerful and bold. It is more masculine, dense and intense. It has a high level of tannin. Shiraz has an alcohol level of 10% to 14%. Shiraz wine is usually paired with red meats but can go with every food item.
Merlot VS Shiraz
- Merlot wine is originated in France, Italy, and California where as Shiraz wine is originated in France where it was given a name Syrah but later was brought to Australia where it was given the name Shiraz.
- Merlot wine is made up of dark blue grapes that are soft, fleshy and have thin skins while Shiraz wine is also made up of dark grapes but usually blend with other varieties of grapes when ripe.
- Merlot is mild, flavorful and medium bodied wine and has a fruitful and delicate taste on the other side Shiraz is full bodied, powerful and bold and has a dense and intense taste.
- Merlot contains 13.5%-14.5% alcohol whereas Shiraz contains 10% to 14% alcohol.
- Merlot have low tannin level whereas Shiraz has high tannin content.
- Merlot wine can be paired with any food item whereas Shiraz wine is usually paired with red meats.