Race and color clearly overlap but they are not synonymous. Due to experience and observations, skin and color have been linked together. Check out what is the difference between Race and Color with the help of these details.
Whenever we talk about race we automatically think about color. People have preconceived notions or ideas about someone’s race and color of skin. There are few differences between color and race which we are following.
It was used mostly to differentiate people biologically. Race basically means the classification of a human population on their physical, genetic characteristics, cultural traditions, and geographic ancestry. Color of skin though is also one way to classify humans into different races. The race is also influenced by the character which is correlated like culture, appearance, socio-economic status, and traditions. This particular term means race was used mainly to identify people biologically back in the early 20th century.
The color discrimination can occur between persons of different races or ethnicities, or between persons of the same race or ethnicity. As color commonly means pigmentation, complexion, skin shade or tone so, it means that color discrimination occurs when a person is discriminated against based on the lightness, darkness, or other color characteristic of the skin of that particular person. Skin color is varied or different among individuals belonging to separate races as well as those belonging to the same one.
Race VS. Color – A Comparison
- Race is a class or kind of people unified by shared interests, habits, or unchangeable characteristics, i.e. skin color, hair texture, or certain facial features on the other hand color is a skin pigmentation, complexion, shade, or tone.
- Color means skin color or pigmentation. While race means both physical characteristics and ethnological classifications.
- Races are labeled according to the color of skin. While Color is used as a variation in labeling.
- Race refers treating someone in unfavorably because of personal characteristics associated with hair structure etc while Color includes treating someone unfavorably because of skin color complexion
- Color discrimination is treating people differently based on their skin color whereas Race is treating people differently based on genetics and traditional characteristics.