Cheese is a food derived from milk and it comes in a variety of flavors, forms, and textures. It is the main ingredient in many cuisines and dishes around the world. Check out what’s the difference between shredded cheese and grated cheese.
Cheese is available in the market in many different forms and shapes. Two of them are shredded and grated cheese. When talking about shredded and grated, there is a lot of difference between the two terms. Let’s find out the difference between two in this article.
Shredding refers to narrow, very thin and long strips of food that is pushed along the surface of a grater or shredder. Block of soft cheese is placed in a freezer for at least 1 hour. And then a tool called grater is used to shred the cheese. Packed shredded cheese contained in addition to the ingredients also listed on the block of cheese; potato starch, powdered cellulose, and natamycin.
These ingredients are sold commercially for use as a thickener and have desiccating and anti-clumping properties that help keep cheese shreds separate. Shredded cheese is usually used in the topping of pizza and pasta. It can also be used in cheesy bites, cheese balls, cheese fondue, savory pancakes etc. The most common cheese that we shred is cheddar and mozzarella.
Grated cheese is a type of cheese that undergo the process of the grating. A tool called grater is used to grate the cheese at homes but you can also buy already grated cheese from any superstore. Aged and hard cheese are used for this purpose.
You can use micro plane to grate the cheese. The Microplane is easy to use, simply run the cheese along the surface and fine shreds of cheese fall out the other side. But if you want it in a large amount, use your food processor. Grated cheese is usually used as a topping in pizzas, pasta or salads. Usual types of grated cheese are Romano and parmesan cheese.
Shredded VS Grated Cheese
Grated cheese and shredded cheese is not the same thing. The differences are as below;
- Shredded cheese is in long, thin strips while Grated cheese is in powdered form.
- Shredded cheese block is soft and is placed in the freezer for about one hour whereas the grated cheese block is hard and aged.
- Shredded cheese is made up of cheddar and mozzarella cheese while grated cheese is made by Romano and parmesan cheese.
- Shredded cheese is grated by grater while grated cheese requires microplane or food processor to be made.
- Shredded cheese is used in cheesy bites, savory pancakes while grated cheese is used in the topping of pizza and pasta.