Buddhism and Taoism are two major religions in the orient, especially China but their goal is completely different. There is several similarities and differences between the two. The main difference between Taoism and Buddhism is described below.
The place of origin of Taoism is China. The goal of this religion is to be one with the Tao. The belief of Taoism is if immortality isn’t attained during life, the Tao will continue to evolve and clear in different forms, in accordance with the entity’s general conduct during a state of existence. This applies to all sentient and insentient beings. Homosexuality is a natural manifestation of the Taoism. Taoism is also said to be compatible with science, although it has its own ontological understanding of existence.
The place of origin of Buddhism is Indian subcontinent. The goal of this religion is to attain enlightenment and be released from the cycle of rebirth and death, thus attaining Nirvana. Rebirth is one of the central beliefs of Buddhism. We are in an endless cycle of birth, death and re-birth, which can only be broken by attaining nirvana. Attaining nirvana is the only way to escape from the suffering permanently. The Buddha accepted both homosexuals and asexual, they understand that it is a neutral phenomena, and not different than heterosexuality.
Taoism VS Buddhism – A Comparison
- The place of origin of Taoism is China; on the other hand the place of origin of Buddhism is Indian subcontinent.
- The goal of philosophy of Buddhism is to eliminate mental suffering; while that of Taoism is to gain balance in life.
- In Buddhism it is not a religious duty to marry especially Monks and nuns do not marry and are celibate. On the other hand in Taoism marriage is a social bonding, applicable with clerics as well.
- The symbol of Buddhism is the conch, endless knot, fish, lotus, parasol, vase, dharmachakra while that of Taoism is the Yin and Yang.
- The Buddhism followers are supposed to wear the Buddhist robe and in Taoism there are no such rules for clothing.