You might have seen different types of fizzy drinks in the cocktail bar that are added in various types of drinks. Study about the difference between tonic water and sparkling water from this comparison between Tonic Water VS. Sparkling Water.
Most common are Tonic water and Sparkling water. Both possesses unique qualities and uses that set them apart from each other. In this article, we will discuss the difference between these two kinds of water.
Tonic water is a carbonated soft drink in which quinine is added. It is often used as a drink mixer for cocktails such as gin and tonic and bitter lemon. Quinine is an ingredient that we can get from cinchona tree and this result in tonic water’s signature, slightly bitter taste.
Quinine has been used to treat malaria since the 19th Century. Nowadays tonic water contains less amount of quinine and is significantly used for its flavor. The presence of quinine in tonic water makes it glow blue under ultraviolet lights. Popular brands selling tonic water in the US are Schweppes, Fentimans, and Vintage etc.
This is a type of water in which carbon dioxide gas has been infused under pressure. Sparkling water is also called carbonated water, club soda, seltzer water or bubbly water. It has slightly tart flavor. Sparkling water gets its minerals from natural springs. Sparkling water is mixed with alcoholic beverages to give them a little fizz. It is a necessary ingredient in many cocktails such as whiskey and soda or
Sparkling water is mixed with alcoholic beverages to give them a little fizz. It is a necessary ingredient in many cocktails such as whiskey and soda or Campari and soda. Popular sparkling water brands are, Perrier Sparkling Natural Mineral Water and San Pellegrino Sparkling Mineral Water etc.
Tonic Water VS Sparkling Water
- Tonic water is water in which quinine is added whereas in sparkling water carbon dioxide is dissolved to give it a fizzy or bubbly characteristic.
- It has a slightly bitter taste whereas sparkling water has slightly tart flavor.
- The presence of quinine in tonic water makes it blue under ultraviolet lights whereas sparkling water does not glow.
- Tonic water is often used as drink mixer for cocktails such as gin and tonic and bitter lemon while Sparkling water is necessary ingredient alcoholic beverages such as whiskey and soda or Campari and soda.
- Popular tonic water brands are Schweppes, Fentimans, and Vintage while popular sparkling water brands are Perrier and San Pellegrino.