The terms culture and tradition have very similar meanings and it is easy to believe that they refer to the same thing. Here is a complete guide on what’s the difference between tradition and culture.
We often think that they are same and can be used interchangeable. However, it is not so, even though there are many similarities but have major differences as well. The difference between tradition and culture are as followings:
The word tradition refers to the concept of inheritance and legal transfers. It is customary practice of thought, action, behavior, or belief passed down from one generation to another generation by practice and still practice by society. The way people meet each other, the way they eat, sleep and dress up are all distinct in different societies and reflect different traditions that developed over the course of time.
It is the pattern of behavior and thinking that people living in social groups learn, create and share. It is the systems of knowledge shared by a relatively large group of people. Culture is a very important concept that has been put forward to better understand human behavior. It is a tool that is used by anthropologists, to understand the human capacity as it evolved through shared experiences and not because of genetics.
Tradition VS. Culture
- Tradition would describe a belief or behavior while Culture consists of the features that describe a society at any given timeTradition often remains the same over time, while culture changes continuously even within
- Tradition often remains the same over time, while culture changes continuously even within same society.
- Traditional activities always reconnect people with the past. Whereas the culture defines the attributes of a particular society at a particular time and place.
- The traditions are getting extinct and the culture is not getting preserved much in terms of arts.
- Culture can be seen in a social group while Traditions can be even seen in a family.
- Traditions are part of culture while culture is not an apart of traditions.
- Culture is created by a group of people over a long period of time while traditions can be created by individuals.
- Culture evolves through shared experiences and tradition evolves because of genetics.